Tuesday, March 4, 2014

March 4, 2014: Land of the Barking Dogs

Bhutan is poetically referred to as "The Land of the Thunder Dragon", but it might equally be called "The Land of the Barking Dogs".  Onne constantly notices the numerous dogs all over Thimphu.  They are not unfriendly or hostile, but they generally don't run up to you for a pet.  They arpper well fed, albeit a bit scruffy.  During the day they primarily seem to lay in the sun.  At night, however, they bark..........and bark, and bark, and bark.  Last night it seemed like a pack of them were circling the town.  Every 10 or 15 minutes a barking pack of them went by outside.  It really was not a nuisance and did not keep me awake.  Its just that I thought it was cats that are nocturnal.

Today was frurstrating at times.  I checked into the hospital and got my license.  After meeting the various members of the hospital administration we went to the oncology unit.  Only one patient was being treated, so we met with the nurses (the surgincal oncologist, Dr. Tashi ws in the OR) and looked at processes.  I can see the work of our predecessors here, as many of the processes are begining to take shape.  There just needs to be more standardiation and more consistent use.  I believe most of theis week will be simply observing and learning.

This afternoon I walked across town to get a Bhutanese sim card as I had been led to believe that would allow my phone to work.  Unfortunately, it did not.  The phone needs to have a global unlock by Verizon and this may not be possible.  It looks like the best bet is to either find the HVO oncology phone (we could not locate it today) or buy a temporary phone.  More on this tomorrow.

So with little else to show you, I will give you a quick tour of my accomodtions at the Yeedzin Guest House.  4 rooms, including kiethchen and bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment